The Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ offense got things going early on down in Miami against the Dolphins. With veteran quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick leading the first-team offense, the Bucs were able to move with ease offensively.
Fitzpatrick marched the team down field on their first possession for a touchdown via the legs of running back Peyton Barber. The aged signal caller finished the game 6-for-8 for 55 yards. There wasn’t much explosiveness, but Fitzpatrick did manage the game well.
Quarterback Jameis Winston also saw some action. He finished his time out on the field 11-for-13 for 102 yards. But Ryan Griffin was the story of the evening as he helped the team to a touchdown in the third quarter and marched the team back late in the fourth quarter to set up what was the game winning field goal. Griffin finished the second half of the game 20-for-26 for 179 yards.
Peyton Barber: 4 carries for 21 yards and a touchdown
Ronald Jones II: 8 carries and a touchdown
Cameron Brate: 5 receptions for 48 yards
Mike Evans: 2 receptions for 26 yards
Gerald McCoy: 1 sack
Carlton Davis: 5 tackles 2 passes defensed
Noah Spence: .5 sack
- RB Peyton Barber - who has led Tampa Bay in rushing in each of the past two preseasons – scored his first career preseason rushing touchdown, ending a six-play, 57-yard drive that lasted 3:07.
- In the first quarter, DT Gerald McCoy dropped Dolphins QB David Fales for a six-yard loss. McCoy now has 3.0 career preseason sacks (0.5 in 2016, 0.5 in 2015, 1.0 in 2014).
- In the second quarter, CB Ryan Smith forced a fumble that was recovered by S Isaiah Johnson. It is the first career preseason forced fumble for Smith and the first career preseason fumble recovery for Johnson.
- Following the fumble recovery, Tampa Bay scored a touchdown on a one-yard rush from RB Ronald Jones.
- DE Patrick O’Connor and DE Noah Spence shared a sack in the second quarter, bringing down Dolphins QB Brock Osweiler for no gain. O’Connor had a sack with Detroit in the 2017 preseason. Spence now has three career preseason sacks (1.0 in 2016 & 2017).
- In the second quarter, after the Dolphins went three-and-out, the Buccaneers drove 40 yards in six plays, setting up a 27-yard field goal from K Chandler Catanzaro.
- Tampa Bay had a 17-play, 88-yard drive lasting 7:44 in the third quarter, culminating in a 10-yard touchdown catch by TE Alan Cross from QB Ryan Griffin. It is Cross’s first career preseason touchdown catch and Griffin’s third career preseason passing touchdown (1 in 2016, 1 in 2015 with the New Orleans Saints).
- With 23 seconds remaining in the game, Catanzaro connected on a 26-yard field goal to give Tampa Bay a 26-24 lead. Catanzaro’s field goal ended a seven-play, 67-yard drive that lasted just 1:27.
- On Miami’s final possession of the game, CB Ryan Smith intercepted a pass from Dolphins QB Bryce Petty.
- Players making Buccaneers preseason debut: DT Beau Allen, K Chandler Catanzaro, DE Will Clarke, DE Vinny Curry, LS Jake Ferris, OL Adam Gettis, LB Nigel Harris, C Ryan Jensen, WR Jake Lampman, RB Dare Ogunbowale, DE Jason Pierre-Paul, DE Patrick O’Connor, T Brad Seaton.
- Players making NFL preseason debut: DE Kiante Anderson, WR Sergio Bailey, DT Nathan Bazata, OL Alex Cappa, LB Jack Cichy, CB Carlton Davis III, DE Demone Harris, G Ruben Holcomb, TE Tanner Hudson, RB Ronald Jones II, S Josh Liddell, CB Marko Myers, DE Evan Perrizo, LB Shaheed Salmon, CB M.J. Stewart, WR Justin Watson, S Jordan Whitehead.