NFL free agency has been a bit of a chaotic place so far, and it hasn't even officially started yet -- that'll come at 4:00 p.m. ET today. We've seen deals and reports flying left and right, with a whole bunch of "this team likes player X" rumors thrown into the mix as well. So let's go through a quick recap of what we know happened the past couple of days before we head to the live tracker.
- The Dolphins signed defensive end Mario Williams to a two-year, $17 million deal. They then pulled the transition tag from Olivier Vernon, who will almost certainly sign a hilariously expensive deal somewhere.
- The Eagles traded linebacker Kiko Alonso and cornerback Byron Maxwell to the Dolphins for a jump up in the first round of the draft, from #13 to #8.
- The Eagles traded running back Demarco Murray to the Tennessee Titans.
- Defensive end Charles Johnson re-signed with the Carolina Panthers for $3 million, leaving the Bucs disappointed -- they'd reportedly far outbid Carolina for his services, but he didn't want to leave.
- Safety George Iloka re-signed with the Cincinnati Bengals, which means Reggie Nelson is likely to hit free agency.
- The Raiders signed guard Kelechi Osemele to a contract that is either obscene for a guard, or pretty expensive for a left tackle -- which is not his usual position.
- The Raiders also signed Bruce Irvin, which takes yet another pass rusher off the market.
- The Jaguars have been busy: they gave an incredible deal to DL Malik Jackson, and signed Chris Ivory to a contract that the Bucs hope to tempt Doug Martin with.
- Jason Pierre-Paul re-signed with the New York Giants.
- The Giants also signed Janoris Jenkins, taking the top defensive back off the market.
- Guard Alex Boone is signing with the Minnesota Vikings.
- Antonio Gates re-signed with the San Diego Chargers.
- Travis Benjamin signed with the Chargers, too.
5:17 p.m.: Chargers sign Seahawks DT Brandon Mebane
5:11 p.m.: The Bears signed Bobby Massie, per Schefter.
5:09 p.m.: The Giants signed Olivier Vernon....to the richest DE deal in history!
4:40 p.m.: Tyvon Branch signed with the Arizona Cardinals, another defensive back off the market.
4:35 p.m.: Falcons also signed Mohamed Sanu, per Dianna Marie Russini.
4:21 p.m.: And the Falcons sign Alex Mack, per Adam Schefter.
3:27 p.m.: The Texans are busy. They signed both Lamar Miller and Brock Osweiler, according to Ian Rapoport. The Broncos can't be happy about that -- they went from Peyton Manning to street free agents.
3:10 p.m.: Matt Forte is headed to the Jets, per Adam Schefter.
2:28 p.m.: Doug Martin re-signs!
2:19 p.m.: Jason Cole says the Bucs are one of many teams interested in Mohamed Sanu.
1:51 p.m.: The Bucs are losing running backs coach Tim Spencer to Illinois, maybe, and the Jaguars just signed a punter.
12:50 p.m.: Alex Mack is about to sign with the Falcons.
12:43 p.m.: Safety Rodney McLeod is signing with the Eagles, according to Ian Rapoport. Defensive backs are starting to come off the market.
12:23 p.m.: Now Mike Silver reports Mitchell Schwartz "likely won't" re-sign with the Browns. The Bucs were interested in him.
12:19 p.m.: Details on Keith Tandy's contract.
Keith Tandy Bucs deal: two yrs $1.85M, $250K roster bonus gted fifth day of league year, salaries $760K, $840K, up to $300K 2017 escalator— Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) March 9, 2016
12:13 p.m.: Peter Schrager says the Raiders are the team to watch on cornerback Sean Smith.
12:02 p.m.: The Bucs have been interested in Mitchell Schwartz, but Mary Kay Cabot reports there's a good chance he returns to Cleveland at $7.5 million per year.