Demar Dotson participated in the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' mini-camp practice today, according to Roy Cummings of the Tampa Tribune. Dotson did not show up for voluntary OTAs the past few weeks, ending a pretty weak-willed holdout. Dotson is hoping for a new contract, one he has certainly earned with his play over the years. We'll have to wait and see whether he actually gets that contract extension.
Meanwhile, Jameis Winston played with the second-team offense after being seen with the first team last week. Winston told Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times that he and presumably Mike Glennon "alternate day in, day out." Whether or not Winston is with the first team right now is a lot less relevant than whether he'll be there during preseason, and all indications are that he will be. Lovie Smith noted that he has a plan and that Winston will "get a certain amount of reps with certain guys," according to Stroud.
On the offensive line Kevin Pamphile and Kadeem Edwards were the starting left tackle and right guard, per Greg Auman of the Tampa Bay Times, which is a bit concerning given that the team drafted Donovan Smith and Ali Marpet in the second round to fill those roles. But the Bucs still haven't had any full-contact practices, nor have they worn pads, so it's hard for offensive linemen to stand out and beat out others, anyway.
More notes from practice:
- Fifth-round receiver Kenny Bell was again held out with an injury, as were defensive tackle Akeem Spence, linebackers Larry Dean and Quinton Alston and guard Antoine Everett, per Auman.
- Chris Conte and Bradley McDougald were the starting safeties according to Auman, so apparently D.J. Swearinger's stint with the first team was far from permanent.
- Leonard Johnson is somehow still the first-team slot cornerback per Auman,, although his main competition is expected to be Sterling Moore and he's instead been working as a second-team outside cornerback -- a completely different position for the Bucs.
- Lovie Smith wants to build on the Tampa Bay Lightning's momentum. I'm fairly sure that's not how that works.
- Finally, a mini-highlight.
QB @Jaboowins to WR @ZoomHerron #BucsMinicamp https://t.co/27SyxuxyJW— Tampa Bay Buccaneers (@TBBuccaneers) June 16, 2015