We can add another name to the list of potential general managers for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Lionel Vital is under consideration for the position, according to Jason La Canfora. Vital is currently the director of player personnel for the Atlanta Falcons, and has worked for the Baltimore Ravens, New York Jets, Cleveland Browns and New England Patriots in the past. He seems to come from the Scott Pioli/Bill Belichick school of talent evaluation.
As far as I know Vital is the first candidate not to have any ties to Lovie Smith.
Morocco Brown has also surfaced as a possible name for Buccaneers general manager, with Jenna Laine of Sports Talk Florida first mentioning him. Brown is the current director of pro personnel for the Washington Redskins, and worked for the Bears under Jerry Angelo before joining the Redskins in 2008.
Jerry Angelo and Tim Ruskell have also been mentioned before, another pair who worked for the Bears with Lovie Smith, but they seem less likely to get the job despite extensive experience in the past with both the Bucs and Bears.
Chris Ballard is still seen as the leading candidate, however, and is now available to be interviewed and possibly hired after the Kansas City Chiefs were eliminated earlier today.
- Saturday NFL Playoffs Open Thread
- Scouting Jeff Tedford, Part I: Teaching the quarterback position
- Lovie Smith has "big plans" for Darrelle Revis in Tampa
- Buccaneers coaching rumors: Tim Spencer to join Lovie Smith as running backs coach?
- Coaching rumors: Buccaneers announce Jeff Tedford, will hire Marcus Arroyo as QBs coach