Darrelle Revis will play against the New York Jets today, who will look to test him early in coverage. The Bucs will be missing three starters in tight end Tom Crabtree, fullback Erik Lorig and left guard Carl Nicks, none of whom made the trip to New Jersey. Cornerback Rashaan Melvin won't play, which further harms a secondary that lacks depth. One surprise inactive for Tampa Bay is fourth-round defensive end William Gholston, while fifth-rounder Steven Means will get some playing time today.
Brian Leonard is likely to take over fullback duties, while Gabe Carimi will start at left guard for Carl Nicks. Rookie running back Mike James will play, despite struggling with an injury this past week.
For the Jets, Santonio Holmes is healthy and will suit up, although he will be limited. Mark Sanchez is, of course, not playing. This means rookie quarterback Geno Smith will get the start against a revamped Tampa Bay secondary that includes a now healthy Darrelle Revis.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers: TE Tom Crabtree, DE William Gholston, DT Chris Jones, G Carl Nicks, CB Rashaan Melvin, QB Dan Orlovsky, FB Erik Lorig.
New York Jets: QB Mark Sanchez, LB Danny Lansanah, G Will Campbell, T Ben Ijalana, T Oday Aboushi, DL Quinton Coples, LB Scott Solomon
More from Bucs Nation:
- Buccaneers vs. Jets: Predict the first pass defensed, reception and special teams tackle!
- Darrelle Revis Injury: Jets look to test Buccaneers cornerback
- Santonio Holmes Injury: Jets receiver limited for matchup with Darrelle Revis
- Daily Bucs Links: Buccaneers vs. Jets previews
- Buccaneers vs. Jets: Game time, TV schedule, odds, streaming and more