Defensive tackle Gary Gibson was injured on the first play from scrimmage and his return is questionable. The defensive tackle suffered a hip injury, according to Pat Yasinskas. The defensive tackle started the game in place of an inured Derek Landri, as the Bucs opened the game with a nickel package. Landri will miss at least a few games after suffering an injury against the New Orleans Saints.
With Gibson and Landri both out, the Buccaneers have just two healthy defensive tackles in the game and on their roster. Defensive ends Da'Quan Bowers and William Gholston may be able to fill in a little at the position, but if the injury is serious the Bucs are likely to look to the free agent market to add a defensive lineman. Injuries have been fairly kind to the Bucs so far, but depth is an issue.
The Buccaneers defense is holding up well without Gibson through two quarters, at least.
More from Bucs Nation:
- Buccaneers vs. Patriots Inactives: Carl Nicks plays, Rob Gronkowski out
- Buccaneers players-only meeting addressed Greg Schiano's style
- Rob Gronkowski Injury: Patriots tight end very unlikely to play
- Saints vs. Buccaneers: Running and passing against New Orleans - All-22
- Buccaneers release Peyton Hillis, promote Danny Noble