- Carl Nicks participated early on, but were pulled from the field halfway through practice, per Rick Brown. The Bucs are still easing them back from their injuries.
- Nose tackle Gary Gibson was on the sidelines, per Rick Brown. Gibson seemed to injure himself on the first scrimmage play yesterday, but came back in later that same day. Akeem Spence took his snaps as the starting nose tackle.
- Darrelle Revis got some more practice time, going up against Vincent Jackson at least twice, with a resulting 40-yard catch per Roy Cummings. Revis won the next matchup, though (again per Cummings). He even noted that Revis even got on the field in a seven-on-seven walkthrough, where he participated through the end of practice.
- Revis was intense and physical, even in the walkthrough portion. He jammed Vincent Jackson in press coverage, and JoeBucsFan loves his intensity.
- Mason Foster came up limping and grabbing his right hamstring, per JoeBucsFan. We'll have to wait to see if it's anything serious.
Position battles and starters
- Brian Leonard was getting some snaps at fullback, blocking for Peyton Hillis, per Pewter Report. They seem to think Leonard's more likely to make the roster than Hillis -- I tend to agree.
- Cummings noted two dropped passes for Tom Crabtree, but with Luke Stocker out he doesn't have much competition right now.
- Chris Owusu and David Douglas stood out as positive in receiver drills, according to Cummings.
- Dekoda Watson is still the starting strongside linebacker, again per Cummings. Jonathan Casillas is supposed to be his main competition for the job, but we haven't seen him show up much this offseason.
- Leonard Johnson got some work as a slot cornerback, according to Stephen Holder. He's competing for the second/third/fourth cornerback spots with Johnthan Banks and Danny Gorrer and a little versatility could give him an edge.
- Johnthan Banks showed up a little. One interception and a pass breakup the very next play, according to Rick Brown.
- Late in practice, the first-team defense included Banks and Revis, according to JoeBucsFan.
Other Practice Notes
- The quarterbacks were working on rollouts, according to Roy Cummings. Perhaps the Bucs are trying to get Josh Freeman to scramble and break contain a little more often.
- After Warren Sapp showed up yesterday, Ronde Barber gave it a try today as part of his new TV job.
- The defense seemed to be dominating the offense today, with numerous pass breakups and interceptions across the board. It seems the secondary had a good day, with Johnthan Banks really standing out.
- JoeBucsFan called Mike Williams the best player in training camp so far. That's good to hear after the Bucs gave him a massive contract this offseason.
More from Bucs Nation:
- Good Josh Freeman and Evil Josh Freeman get picked apart by Mike Tanier
- Warren Sapp calls out Da'Quan Bowers in Buccaneers Training Camp
- Daily Bucs Links: Darrelle Revis gets in on on-field practice
- Buccaneers Training Camp: Mark Barron to play in the box more, blitz more
- Two steps forward, one step back