After the Buccaneers restructured Eric Wright's contract for a million and a half, I felt pretty good about having him on the team. As a second or third corner with Revis manning the helm, Wright had an opportunity to demonstrate above average ability. With him off the team, there's no longer any room for injury.
If Revis goes down, Banks and Johnson will most likely be the starters. A rookie and a second year undrafted free agent could potentially be just as bad as last year (save safety play). As much as I was glad to see Biggers walk, I can't help but feel he'd be more capable than what remains behind Banks at this point.
This move clearly demonstrates the confidence Tampa has in Banks' play and Revis' knee. If someone goes down- the defense may not look all too improved from last year.
More from Bucs Nation:
- Daily Bucs Links - Rookies get chance to earn starting jobs
- Jeff Demps will miss training camp, decide on Buccaneers future by mid August
- Darrelle Revis, Adrian Clayborn, Carl Nicks and Davin Joseph will participate in Buccaneers training camp
- Derek Landri could end up playing a big role for the Buccaneers
- Daily Bucs Links: Salary cap outlook