The first round of the 2013 NFL draft is up, and it was a doozy. The Buccaneers were linked throughout the past days with a trade up, but that didn't happen. They now have seven picks over the next two days, with the 11th pick in the second round being their first pick.
The importance of the trenches was reinforced once again as we saw a massive run on offensive linemen and pass rushers early on. And for the first time in years upon years we didn't see a single quarterback in the top 15 of the draft since Chad Pennington. And that one was a surprise too: E.J. Manuel to the Buffalo Bills. Similarly, this was the first draft without a first-round running back since 1963. It's certainly a different league now.
The NFC South got better, which is not good news for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The Carolina Panthers are trying like hell to firm up their defensive line, so they took DT Star Lotulelei out of Utah. He's a disruptive defensive tackle who should give Carl Nick and Davin Joseph all they can handle. Meanwhile the New Orleans Saints addressed the massive hole on defense they call Roman Harper by taking the best safety in the draft in Kenny Vaccaro. The Atlanta Falcons had a massive hole at cornerback and shored that up a little with Desmond Trufant out of Washington. All of them good players, and all of them make the Bucs' division rivals better.
The Falcons did hurt themselves a little, though. They had to trade up to take Trufant, and they gave up their 30th overall pick for the 22nd pick, while throwing in their third- and sixth-round picks. They did get a 2015(!) seventh-rounder for that, though. Which has a value of basically zip.
The Buccaneers enter the second day of the draft with seven picks and a lot of flexibility.
Here's the full list of first-round draft picks:
1. Kansas City Chiefs - Eric Fisher, T, Central Michigan
2. Jacksonville Jaguars - Luke Joeckel, T, Texas A&M
3. Miami Dolphins (from Oakland Raiders) - Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon
4. Philadelphia Eagles - Lane Johnson, T, Oklahoma
5. Detroit Lions - Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU
6. Cleveland Browns - Barkevious Mingo, DE, LSU
7. Arizona Cardinals - Jonathan Cooper, G, North Carolina
8. St. Louis Rams (from Buffalo Bills) - Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
9. New York Jets - Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
10. Tennessee Titans - Chance Warmack, G, Alabama
11. San Diego Chargers - D.J. Fluker, T, Alabama
12. Oakland Raiders (from Miami Dolphins) - D.J. Hayden, CB, Houston
13. New York Jets - Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri
14. Carolina Panthers - Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
15. New Orleans Saints - Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
16. Buffalo Bills (from St. Louis Rams) - E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State
17. Pittsburgh Steelers - Jarvis Jones, LB, Georgia
18. San Francisco 49ers (from Dallas Cowboys) - Eric Reid, S, LSU
19. New York Giants - Justin Pugh, T, Syracuse
20. Chicago Bears - Kyle Long, T, Oregon
21. Cincinnati Bengals - Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame
22. Atlanta Falcons (from St. Louis Rams) - Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington
23. Minnesota Vikings - Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida
24. Indianapolis Colts - Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State
25. Minnesota Vikings - Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State
26. Green Bay Packers - Datone Jones, DE, UCLA
27. Houston Texans - DeAndre Hopkins, DT, Clemson
28. Denver Broncos - Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina
29. Minnesota Vikings (from New England Patriots) - Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
30. St. Louis Rams (from Atlanta Falcons) - Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia
31. Dallas Cowboys - Travis Frederick, OL, Wisconsin
32. Baltimore Ravens - Matt Elam, S, Florida