Here are all the notes on today's open practice for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
- Injuries: Ronde Barber and Aqib Talib have returned to the field after missing Friday's preseason game with minor injuries. Luke Stocker walked off the practice field yesterday with an undisclosed injury, and missed today's practice as well. Schiano refused to go into detail on what is bothering the tight end. Arrelious Benn, who has been held out with a knee injury for several weeks, was running around on the field, but not in pads per Rick Brown.
- Ronde Barber and Mark Barron got some extra time in with the second-team defense, presumably to get them up to speed, according to Roy Cummings.
- Sammie Stroughter had a mixed practice. He muffed a fair catch on a punt return, per JoeBucsFan, but then followed that up with a 73-yard punt return touchdown (per Cummings) and a good catch over the middle in 11-on-11s according to Rick Brown.
- In one defensive subpackage, Cummings claims Barber played linebacker, Watson played left defensive end and Bennett played defensive tackle. It's more likely that Barber was a slot corner with run responsibilities, but Watson and Bennett played defensive end and three-technique tackle respectively quite a bit last season.
- On that note, Barber got some reps at slot corner with Mark Barron and Ahmad Black at safety, according to Cummings. It's not clear whether that was in nickel or dime defense.
- Tiquan Underwood (per Cummings) and Mike Williams (per JoeBucsFan) both made some impressive catches, with the latter taking the ball away from Mark Barron, who has been fairly quiet throughout training camp.
- Myron Lewis continued to get some first-team work, despite a poor performance on Friday, per the Bucs' twitter feed. Cummings noted that Cody Grimm was playing with the second team, presumably ahead of Asante despite a poor game on Friday.
- Doug Martin took a screen pass 40 or 30 yards, depending on whether you ask JoeBucsFan or Cummings.
- The defense started out well in the final 11-on-11 drill, with a sack, a pass breakup and forcing a throwaway, per Cummings. Then came Mike Williams' catch over Mark Barron for a first down.