KANSAS CITY, MO - AUGUST 12: Quarterback Josh Johnson #11 of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers rushes for a first down against the Kansas City Chiefs during the second quarter on August 12, 2011 at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Missouri. (Photo by Peter Aiken/Getty Images)
After their win against the Kansas City Chiefs the Bucs had yesterday off, but returned to the practice field today. Here are the notes on today's practice, as gathered off twitter:
- Luke Stocker and Erik Lorig were both back practicing with the team for the first time. They didn't fully participate, but did go through warmups. I don't know if they can get ready for Thursday's matchup against the Patriots, but they should at least be ready for the season opener against the Lions.
- Gerald McCoy was back at practice as well, according to Pewter Report, although this should be no surprise in a pad-less practice. He and Brian Price were both working with the starters. According to Rick Brown, we should see both of them in action against the Patriots Thursday.
- Preston Parker was not practicing due to an unknown injury, so says Rick Stroud.
- Ahmad Black had a boot on his right foot. That might explain his not showing up on tape on Friday. He has a high ankle sprain, which usually takes a month or more to heal.
- Josh Johnson continues to look sharp, according to Rick Brown. The Bucs seem to at least have a decent backup quarterback.
- While we haven't heard much from the safeties this training camp, Sean Jones has reportedly looked great, picking off Josh Freeman today. He later grabbed another pick, and defensed a pass. The Bucs like to use Jones in a variety of ways, usually close to the line of scrimmage. They frequently bring him on blitzes.
- Another Rick Brown note: Elbert Mack has had a good training camp. Mack didn't seem lost against the Chiefs, but has looked poor when on the field in the regular season. I don't think the numbers work for him to make the roster.
- Overall, the Bucs defense looked pretty sharp in practice, notching five interceptions (at least) by my twitter-based count.
- Despite seemingly disappearing against the Kansas City Chiefs, Mike Williams was on fire in practice again. The second-year player has not dropped a pass in practice yet, according to the Tampa Tribune.
- Attendance was great, as the open practice drew a big crowd.
- he Bucs signed WRs Aundrae Allison and Maurice Price, according to Rick Stroud. They released Mike Coughlin to create the roster space, having already put Raymond Webber on IR.
- Aundrae Allison was a fifth-round draft pick with the Vikings in 2007, and has 18 catches for 231 yards over his career. He last played with the New York Jets in 2008, and was most recently on the roster of the UFL's Virginia Destroyers. He was nominated for a Rookie of the Week award in Week 13 of the 2007 season for a kickoff returned for a touchdown. He has a career average of 25.9 yards on kick returns.It seems unlikely he makes the roster.
- Maurice Price was undrafted in 2007 and has bounced around the league, being on different practice squads throughout his career. He has not appeared in an NFL game.
- More blackouts are coming: it looks like the two preseason home games will be blacked out (not a big surprise), while the regular season opener "looks iffy", according to Ira Kaufman. One positive: "looks iffy" is a major step up from last year, when only the Steelers game had a small chance of avoiding a blackout.