TAMPA, FL - JULY 29: Tight end Kellen Winslow #82 of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers runs upfield with a pass during the team's first pre-season training camp practice July 29, 2011 at One Buccaneer Place in Tampa, Florida. (Photo by Al Messerschmidt/Getty Images)
The Bucs held another open training today, with plenty of people in attendance. The biggest news of today was that Luke Stocker was on crutches. He has a right hip strain which will keep him out for at least one week, so notes Pewter Report. Roy Cummings says that Stocker is taking it "a week at a time", which means that one week would be very optimistic. This will hurt him going into the season, as any practice time now is very valuable for rookies. At the same time, if he is ready to practice after a week he should be able to get up to speed relatively quickly. Any longer and chances of him having an early impact strongly diminish.
All of the notes:
- Luke Stocker has a right hip strain which will keep him out for at least one week, according to Pewter Report. He was on crutches on the field. There's your first training camp injury.
- Legarrette Blount was working on his pass-catching, catching balls from the JUGS machine. If he can improve his pass-catching and his feel for coverages, he can be a weapon on passing downs. Blount also looks to be in tremendous shape. As I've said before, if he learns this offense and understands how to run the ball in the NFL, he can be so much better than he was last season.
- Oklahoma RB Mossis Madu has Kareem Huggins #32. Hardly a surprise: Huggins isn't even under contract. His knee injury was really bad, and it's very unlikely he'll ever make it to the NFL again because of that.
- Kellen Winslow has continued to look absolutely dominant in practice by all accounts. Everyone at practice mentioned this.
- Luke Stocker was on crutches after looking great yesterday. Uh-oh.
- First team defensive line was Clayborn-McCoy-Miller-Bowers.
- Ed Gant's name keeps popping up as a wide receiver who's flashing in camp. He was on the practice squad last season.
- According to Pewter Report, Cody Grimm looks slow. Grimm isn't the fastest player, and he may not fully trust his leg yet.
- Another player who gets named as dominant a couple of times is Gerald McCoy. Expecting big things out of the man.